Monday, June 27, 2011

WINDSONG AND NORTH COAST MEN'S CHORUS

WINDSONG AND NORTH COAST MEN'S CHORUS

by Chris Vartorella on Tuesday, June 21, 2011 at 10:28am

      So I have had time to think about this…and lots of feedback on the concert we did. Windsong Chorus, the feminist chorus I am in got to sing in the North Coast Men's Chorus concert. Mostly for me, I witnessed compassion and was the recipient of a lot. The NorthCoast Men’s Chorus was so welcoming to us “chicks”. Kathy Sullivan said to them, “You have such a great audience.” , or something like that. And they do. We got to watch them for the first half of the show and I was mesmerized by it all. Someone said to me, “We have to follow that?!” It was beautiful. In the 12 songs they did, they had me laughing and then crying. Bridge Over Troubled Water was beyond with an amazing soloist. The other soloists had great stage presence and great voices. Choreography was wonderful for Lady Gaga’s, “Born This Way.” And that was their ending. So we walk on and immediately there is applause. Because our season is technically over, we didn’t have all our members. Then we do our first song, “Away Ye Merry Lassies”. I love this song but you never know how an audience will respond. A man jumped up and yelled, “Bravo!” and the rest of the crowd cheered. Then we did, “Lambscapes”. It’s a funny piece and the audience got the joke and cheered like crazy. Next is “Sisters”. We sometimes have trouble with this. But I watch our director, Karen Weaver, and enjoy her facial expressions, which gets me through it, not to mention Maureen, next to me. And it is so well received. A man in the audience yells, “Awesome.” And lots of applause. Then our last number. I get emotional with this one. I watch Joanne start and then C.J. joins and Joanne’s expression with C.J. is beautiful, then Kelly comes in. It’s great. So we do it with a drummer..I love it. The audience goes crazy. Whoops and hollers..!!!!! We then sing with the men and it’s wonderful!!!! Then they do more and we come back on. It was nothing short of thrilling for me. I love the men’s director, Richard Cole. He’s what I call, a “peapod”. Just sweet.

        Now for the compassion part. I am concerned with the intense rehearsals we were going to have for this, and wondering if my body will hold out. One member, Jan calls and says, “Chrissy, we have to be in Lakewood for rehearsal, then a few hours later, we have to be at Cleveland State to practice with the men." She says to come to her place after the first rehearsal, rest and she’ll feed me and she’ll drive us to Cleveland State. This saves my body a lot.. At Cleveland State, I stand for the men’s songs and my fellow member, Kathy Sullivan lets me hold on to her. Then my body sort of gave out that week. So Friday, I ask my dear friend, Michelle if I can ride with her to rehearsal.. (Driving seems to wear me down.) A resounding “yes” comes in an email. Kat comes up to me and says, “We have a long rehearsal tomorrow and then the show. I suggest you do whatever it takes to get through this.” I do my best . But Kat makes sure I have an arm to hold wherever I go. Out of nowhere Kathy Sullivan rubs my back. On Sunday, we get there early and sit in the lobby waiting to rehearse. Michelle comes up to me and rubs my back. While in rehearsal and the concerts, I sit next to Mo and she gets my crutch for me and makes sure I am settled. When the soloists bow for their solo’s, Karen insists I stand with these great singers, even though my solo was a sheep. A freakin…. sheep. The second concert she grabs me and pushes me in there and they hold me up since my crutch is sitting next to my chair. Throughout the weekend, Michelle checks on me and waits for me in the bathroom or after the show. Backstage, people offer me their chairs, so I can sit and on and on it goes. Kathie Soltis stands next to me and checks to see that I am alright. Once again, I have learned more than just about music from these women. They do whatever it takes to put on a good show and that includes helping their buddy Chris. The encore song was LEAN ON ME.... and I did...

No comments:

Post a Comment