Tuesday, June 7, 2011

IT'S ALL ABOUT ME

       A friend I hadn’t seen in a long time came over for dinner about 24 years ago.  I was excited to have her.  I made pasta with meatballs, sausage, etc., because I knew it was the one dish that I could cook well.  I cooked the sauce exactly like my mother did every Sunday when we were growing up.
 
      My friend was very sweet and then decided to talk to me about her job.  She expressed for a long time the difficulties and the stress of it all.  It sounded like hell.  I felt terrible for her but didn’t have anything to say.  I just listened.  Finally, she said something about how hard life was and she wondered if it was really worth living for.  Then she asked if I felt the same and I said “No.”  I didn’t feel the same.  I told her that I felt life was great and I would just look around me and appreciate all that I had.  I know I talked for a while, but I can’t remember what I said.  I gave her all of my Wayne Dyer books and tapes and she was very open to them.  She looked so different when she left.  She looked calmer.  She hugged me and left. 
     A few weeks later she popped in unexpectedly and sat on my floor and began telling me what happened when she left.  She took a vacation alone and spent a great deal of time listening to the tapes I gave her and reading the books.  She said everything changed for her.  She said she would just drive her car around, listening to the tapes.  She told me that the way I spoke to her, made her look at things differently.  She said she was SOOOOOO happy.  Then she said she had seriously thought of taking her own life until she had dinner with me. She was incredibly grateful.  When she left I was a little too full of myself until a few weeks later, I told my brother the story and he said, “Boy, that’s some sauce.”

No comments:

Post a Comment