Monday, June 27, 2011

SHORTS

Shorts

by Chris Vartorella on Saturday, May 7, 2011 at 11:16am
     My mom loved The Virgin Mary.  I think she prayed to her all the time and asked for guidance.  In 1988, my father took her to Italy and she saw The Pieta by Michelangelo among other things.  She showed me a picture of this amazing statue.  She became very emotional telling me how it took her breath away.  She told me it was a mother and son thing. 
     On the one year anniversary of her death, I went to her grave and carved in the stone was the Virgin Mary.  I began talking and asking Mary to take care of my mother.  I was crying a great deal and telling her what my mother liked.  I told her about how my mother loved beautiful houses and antiques.  I told her my mother was an amazing cook and loved good food.  I went on and on still crying.  Then I stopped.  A smile came over me.  I said that she loved to laugh.. She was my brother's and my best audience.  I asked Mary to please bring her laughter like I remembered.  My mother would silently laugh and her body would just bounce.  Then I remembered something that we laughed about for years.  Seventeen years earlier, Steve Allen had a comedy special on.  My mother and father and I watched it.  One sketch was a news report from Little Italy in New York.  The Blessed Mother had been spotted.  The news reporter said Theresa Sensadesta was in the kitchen and saw The Virgin Mary sitting on the refrigerator. Theresa said, "Mary, get off the refrigerator, have a cup of coffee."  "Well frankly Theresa, I just have two things to say.  Don't make a scene at your sister Millie's wedding, and short shorts aren't for everybody." 
Sometimes, you just have to laugh....

No comments:

Post a Comment