Saturday, January 28, 2012

AND A CHILD SHALL LEAD THEM

   I watched Oprah Winfrey's, "The Big Give" a few years ago.  I loved it.  The contestants were sent all over the country to help others who had a serious  "need"..  and were to help out in some way and the contestants came up with creative ways of doing this.  One of the last episodes, they sent the last 3 contestants to their hometowns and gave them some money and said to find someone, or many to give it to.  The young man, Cameron was about 22 years old and in his home town a young girl, about 13 years old, was diagnosed with cancer.  She was treated and it was gone, but then it was back.  The family had exhausted all their finances, and was about to go on assistance.  Cameron got the community together to help.  It was amazing. Within a matter of days, they fixed up their home and got new furniture.  One organization paid their rent for the rest of the year, however long that was.  They got a car dealer to donate a brand new car that the family desperately needed. The money Cameron was given to help was not used, so he gave them the 10,000 dollars.  Cameron set this girl up with a website and a blog and said that he  thought others would benefit from hearing her story.  What I loved about this, was this girl.  So inspiring.  She said something like, "I beat cancer once, I can do it again."  She sure wasn't complaining. The cancer was in her legs and she had trouble climbing stairs.  She told her father that she wanted a pink wheelchair if she had to be in one.   I believe when I was her age, I was whining because a boy I had a crush on didn't feel the same about me...I think I was 13.... or it was last Saturday....Yes, I can learn alot from her...

2 comments:

  1. We all can learn a lot from each other. I do believe that's why we're here! People are learning from you all the time brave Chris.

    ReplyDelete