Monday, July 4, 2011

WHAT WERE YOU SAYING?

     I titled my blog the way I did, because I have been called on my lack of humility many times by family and friends.  I work on listening to others, “actively”, but I have screwed it up more times than I can say.  I will listen to you, really…. I’m all ears…… for a little while anyway…..Once, I got a birthday card from my brother that had a woman with a birthday cake on her head with lit candles and the other lady said, “Don’t tell me, it’s your birthday.” When I opened the card it said, “IT’S ALL ABOUT YOU.”A long time ago, I broke my shoulder and had nothing to do while it healed, and I drew a picture for a friend, even though prior to, I could only draw stick figures before, but this picture came out fairly well and gave it to her.  I was a little too excited about it.  I talked about it too much at dinner with her and some other people and a friend leaned over and said very quietly, “Shut up already.” I knew I was in real trouble when my nine year old nephew said, “I think you’re a little self-involved.”  About 5 years ago, I visited my brother and his wife and 2 boys and decided not to bring the conversation to me at all the whole week.  I did really well.  My brother shared a lot about himself.. he told me when he lived in L.A.,  about his acting and music career before he became a teacher…he shared a little more than usual.  His wife told me about some issues with her father.  I stayed present.. I was there.   I played with my nephews and cheered them on at the county fair as they went on rides.  It was a great week.
   All went well, until the last day.  My sister - in- law talked about a movie she had just seen.  She was trying to remember the name of a child actor…. She took a few moments, and I interrupted and said, “Did I ever tell you about….” It was a story about…ME and had nothing to do with what she was saying.
Old habits die hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment