Tuesday, July 5, 2011

THE BUREAU OF VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION

      The Bureau of Vocational Rehab works with me a lot to get me work.  It’s difficult because my energy is so limited.  Now they hire vendors to help because each BVR counselor has such a big case load.  Mine has over 90 people.  Years ago, the career center at Jewish Family Services was the one to help.  They were extremely helpful and once I secured a job, they made sure I was trained properly for it.  Then, not too long ago I needed a job and went back to BVR and the vendor they hired was great.  A young woman was getting me in to interviews and working so hard to help me.  She asked a lot about me and my physical issues.  She got to know me very well.  She knew my energy was limited.  Once, when we were talking, I told her I went on a retreat to Mt. Shasta and climbed the mountain.  This was after I had a spinal cord injury.  She said, “How did you climb Mt. Shasta when you were 30 and now you’re like THAT?.” She pointed to my body.  I felt like crying but didn’t say anything.    I am not a THAT.  I was able climb Mt. Shasta, because I had lots of help.  When I first broke my back, the Bureau of Voc Rehab came to my parents home where I lived after the accident.  The young man was very nice and each time he came, there was some improvement in my body.  He was amazed at how well I got around.  He explained that this would take a long time and that was fine.  My legs improved enough that I was on two crutches.  While I waited, I worked with my father and was a typist.  I didn’t get paid, it was more like occupational therapy.   I was ecstatic to be doing anything… I was wearing a back brace and after a year, the rods in my back that were put there to stabilize the spinal fusion had moved.  You could see two bumps in my back where they were sticking out.  The pain was incredible, and I needed a second surgery.  I stopped working with my father as I could not sit very long.  The young man from BVR found me a job and I said I couldn’t take it.  He was so upset.   He said he couldn’t believe that I had such a good attitude before and now had such a bad attitude.  I explained that it wasn’t about attitude, but my body was not working.  He didn’t buy it.  I did get those rods removed, however....
   I think with me, you are damned if you do, and damned if you don’t … On the one hand, the young lady understood how much pain I was in, but I didn’t like what she said, and on the other hand, the young man applauded getting out of a wheelchair and walking but didn’t understand how much pain I was in.  I want people to understand my limitations, yet I want them to see how far I have come….In 31 years, the BVR has come a long way.  My BVR counselor is always in my corner.  When I first met her, she was quick to get me computer training and wanted to know exactly what I was learning.  She gets my limited energy and shows concern when no one gives me an interview.  She questions whether people are stuck on the way I walk in with a crutch, etc. and maybe overlook me when it’s time to hire.  She wants my feedback on everything.  She calls, emails, whatever, despite the intense case load that she carries…If we haven’t talked for a while, she will call and not only ask about work stuff, but will ask about whatever else is going on with me.    I am picky about who I have in my life.  I want supportive friends and supportive job counselors.  I never knew I had choices about that until I had lots of therapy. 
  I highly recommend the BVR if you have a disability and need a job.  But if you don’t like the counselor they assign you, don’t let any grass grow under your feet to get another one.  You have choices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment