Sunday, April 1, 2012

NEMO

   Chemo sounds like Nemo, doesn't it?  "Finding Chemo", starring Ellen Degeneres.  Don't worry.  I'm not having it.  I hear about chemo alot lately.  I have great respect for someone who goes through it.  One friend who has been a Godsend to me during all of this says that healing from a mastectomy was nothing compared to the chemo.  She said it's the gift that keeps on giving. She said some of her memory has left her.  I went to a breast cancer support group when I was first diagnosed and one woman said she had to be hospitalized because she almost died from chemo.  I heard Sharon Osbourne say that you think the cancer has come back because the chemo is so awful.  It's so weird.  As I shared with a friend last night, I don't feel like I had cancer.  The doctors saw it.  Not me.  And the doctors biopsied and looked and looked at everything. They gave options, but I don't feel like I had anything wrong.  How is it that they know more about a body that I have lived in 55 years and they just met me?  I know this is obvious, but just saying.   A test is being done right now that determines the likelihood of the cancer returning.  Do I really want to know this?  This also determines whether the oncologist will recommend chemo or just radiation alone.  It determines whether he says you will be very sick for a long time throwing up, losing your hair, your memory and God knows what else... or  just nuking you with radiation.  I'll stick with the latter.  

4 comments:

  1. Your body, you get to decide.

    I love that you never felt like you had cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, what she said. And the Oncotype is just a test to give you statistical information about the likelihood of the cancer coming back or spreading. It's just a tool. You are running the ship. You get to decide. You can tell them to shove everything they want you to do if you feel that that is the right thing for you. Make an informed decision and then know that you did the right thing for YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As if you'd know... seriously, thank you..

    ReplyDelete