Monday, April 9, 2012

NAPKINS

  A couple of days before I had surgery, a member of the chorus I am in asked if she could come over to give me something.  When she got here, she gave me a red cloth napkin that said, "Love".  She explained it belonged to a  former member who passed away.  Bunny.  Bunny had a massive heart attack the day after a performance and was in a coma for a while and died.  We were all deeply shaken by it. I liked her alot.  I thought it was "cool" that she got to do what she enjoyed, which was singing in this chorus, and then was done.  When Kathy gave this memento to me, she explained that whenever anyone is going through a crisis or a particularly tough time, they get this napkin to sort of remind them that they are not alone.  I also took it to mean Bunny was watching over me.  A friend came over and I shared this story and she said, "Don't you think you should have something with 'live' energy?"I asked if she meant, as opposed to something from someone who has passed ... She said, "Yes."  If this was an issue for me, I'd have to get rid of many things in my home as they are passed down from my dead parents.   I feel strongly that it was the gesture that mattered and the love that these women have shown me. When Kathy shared the story, I was almost in tears.   I think that "things" carry energy and  I think the energy was gentle and loving, and incredibly supportive....That's all I care about.

1 comment:

  1. I agree Chris. I think you took the gift in the spirit in which it was given. I love and cherish the things I have from people who have passed on.

    ReplyDelete