Thursday, March 22, 2012

I SEE YOU

        My friend, Lori Cannon has a blog.  I read it at times.  She is very funny, but in her bio she says, "breast cancer survivor", Then says, "Who isn't?"  I laughed so hard when I read this.  I thought about how my identity was wrapped up in my 20's in breaking my back and learning to walk again.  Then the novelty wore off, as I was so sick all the time with one infection or another.  Then it was wrapped up in being chronically ill.  Now I am a "breast cancer survivor".  Part of the "club" that I never wanted to be a part of and yes the novelty has worn off.  It ain't that "fun" although I try to see the good side.  One of the good sides is that so many present the best part of themselves, and it's always in service.  People I never expected.  Even the frigging librarian I see once in a while called to ask what she could do for me.  In 1995, someone came over and saw my horribly messy place and said, "Now I see the real Chris."  Don't worry, I cleaned it up.  I was thinking, all these people coming out of the woodwork offering, prayers, meals, support.. what if that was the REAL them?  What if that is who they really are? 
   

2 comments:

  1. What if we only saw the best in people? I'm going to try it today. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to know how that works out

    ReplyDelete