Saturday, November 26, 2011

TURKEY

    I am a tad embarrassed to share this, but I spent Thanksgiving alone.  My brother invited me over and then he cancelled a few days before the holiday.  A couple people said that I could come over to their home and share in the festivities, which was so sweet of them, but I find their families difficult to be around and I feel intrusive.  So…. I went to the park, went grocery shopping, ate a good meal, exercised and took myself to a movie.  A friend reminded me… “You had your Thanksgiving last week when your family was in town.” That is true… I did.. No turkey or anything….. but it was a great weekend… This “alone” thing is daunting… when I looked at it more closely, it wasn’t about being alone so much, it was the “How do I tell people this?  I will feel like a loser.”  But I don’t frankly.  I told some people, and it is fine... In fact... I feel pretty good.   I used to get very sick during the holidays … I don’t anymore… and for this I am truly thankful…

5 comments:

  1. I feel ya sistah! Being single is odd sometimes mostly because of people's reactions when you tell them you're not doing anything for a birthday or a holiday. So to all you non-single folks out there just remember...sometimes being by yourself is the most loving thing a body can do! I'm thankful for you, and your writing, in my life Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy... thank you sweetheart.... back at you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spend half my life trying to get "alone" time! No shame in being alone. Good for you for taking care of yourself and choosing not to be with people who deplete you.

    Baa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned that if you want an easy time of grocery shopping before Thanksgiving... shop on Thanksgiving.. no one was in Giant Eagle...

    ReplyDelete