Monday, March 25, 2019

BULLIES


     When I was 16, I was in geometry or algebra.  One of those, and there was a boy in our class who was teased a lot.  He didn't say much, but for some reason, he was the scapegoat.  Once the teacher left the room, the bad boy in class came up to him with a book and smacked the side of his head with it and then the other side and did it over and over.  Nobody did a thing, including me.  I was more shocked than anything. I don't recall if we laughed or what.   After class I told the teacher and on my walk home from school the next day, the bully asked me if I knew who ratted on him and I lied and said that I didn't know.  He said it was probably that fat Cathy.  And once again, I didn't say anything.  

    When I was in the 5th grade, a boy was made fun of a lot and I don't remember why. We'll call him Sam.  One day on our playground, another boy named Peter fell and broke his arm.  His mother came to our class and asked what happened.  It seemed the boys were chasing him and he fell.  After she left, the teacher asked the boys more questions.  The boys said that they were playing and Sam said, "There's Peter!", so they ran toward Peter and Peter ran from them and fell.  The teacher asked why they would listen to Sam.  Then she said something awful.  She said, "Anyone who listens to Sam ought to have their head examined."  Everybody laughed.  I kept wondering what happened to Sam.  I finally saw him at the grocery store and said hi.  His face looked so old.  Like he'd had such a hard life.  He didn't really hold his head up.  I apologized for not sticking up for him that day.  He didn't really remember the incident and told me not to worry about it, but I wondered what his life had been like all these years.  I never found out what happened to the boy who's head was slammed with a book but I wish I had stuck up for these boys more.

    All of us want to belong and find a group we can feel safe in.  In one of my jobs as an adult,  a woman I worked with had some social issues and was made fun of a lot. Mostly, she didn't know how to hang out with people and just chill. I have to say, I had a hard time dealing with her as well and stayed away from her.  But when it came down to it, she worked very hard, and did a great job.  She was a good person.  I did say a few things behind her back when I was overwhelmed by her.  She wanted to be friends and I just couldn't do it.  Once she said something trying to be funny and I said something rude to her.  I then apologized but the damage was done.  Years later a friend of hers saw me and said she just wanted to be more like me.  

    People have stuck up for me at various times when I needed it.  I have been welcomed into groups at different times in my life, and its been wonderful.  Even at age 62, I need a tribe.  When I was very young, some of my friends dissed me.  They would do all they could to stay away.  It was heartbreaking and I couldn't figure out why.  It then occurred to me to get new friends.  I don't know why we feel a need when we get in a group to make fun of someone, even as adults. We seem to think that we bond better with the others. Sometimes I think not speaking up for someone is almost as bad as the blatant head bashing or gossip.



No comments:

Post a Comment