Monday, February 3, 2014

PHILLIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN


      I am so sad about Phillip Seymour Hoffman.  And I am sad about the statements people are making.  My friend Michael McCarthy wrote, “PSH died of a disease.”  I was glad to see that.  Heroin cannot be easy to just shake off.  Hell, I'm  still working on sugar.  I realize that putting a needle in your arm is not a good move, but I just don’t know what the circumstances were.  My only thought is that you do that because your life isn’t working.  One thing that always strikes me is that fame seems almost like a trauma.  As wonderful as it must be to doing what you love and to be honored for it, there is something very bizarre in our society that we give so much attention to performers and athletes.  Not to mention money.  To me fame is like having children.  Nobody gives you a manual before it happens.  Everybody just wings it.  Michael also wrote, “It's slightly amusing for some people in my line of work to have to fathom the distant, foreign concept that even an Academy award... might not make it all better. 
      I pretty much loved everything I have seen PSH in.  I loved him in "Boogie Nights".  He was awkward and uncomfortable and perfect in it.   He was as good in small parts as he was in the big ones.  I loved "Capote"and I loved him in "Doubt".  I liked him in "Joey Breaker" as Joey’s assistant.  Joey is a workaholic talent agent in New York.  For some reason, even that small part had me watching him closely and always relating to whatever character he was playing.  Playing them so “human”, for lack of a better word.  I have missed quite a bit of his work lately but will catch up soon. 
       I am sorry for his children and losing their dad.  And frankly, sorry he won’t be performing anymore.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment